Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cannon D. update

Sitting, eating, teething, spitting and molting.

My little Cannon is growing like crazy. He's already sitting up on his own for a few minutes at a time and it makes me feel like he's getting big!

I fed him some solids for the first time the other day and he loved it. He was really starting to grab at our foods and act like he wanted to eat it so I figured it was time. I was right, he LOVES it! I'm not sure how much actually makes it into his stomach but he eats it right up! I was hoping it would help him sleep better at night to get some real food in his stomach . . . but no.


Which brings me to my next subject - TEETH! He hasn't eaten during the night for over a month, but he still sleeps like CRAP (pardon my language but I have no better description). We even tried letting him cry for four nights and it made him sleep worse and he lost his voice, which was kind of sad. Well, being married to a dentist, you would think we may have thought of teething, but we didn't until we saw that one had broken through his gums the other day. Oh what a wonderful Mom I am. I let him cry for an hour and twenty minutes the night before I found the first tooth. Hopefully the other one will come through soon and we can be done with the first round of teething and get back to some sleep training.

Now for the "venting" part of my update. I am so SICK and TIRED of getting puked on all day long. Poor Cannon just can't keep it in him. We go through 5-6 burp cloths a day, and they ARE nasty when he is done with them. I finally went to the doctor and put him on some acid reflux medicine about two weeks ago. I was hesitant to put him on it, but the spitting up at night and waking up with it in his hair, eyes, nose, etc. just got to be too much. So I was hoping the prevacid would work, and it has helped some, but not a ton. The first two days it worked great and it seems to be getting less and less effective every day since then . . . any other parents of GeRD babies got suggestions for me?? And, I'll stop complaining now because the reality is that my kids are healthy and happy and I could ask for more.

Lastly, my son is "molting" (as his Aunt Annie called it). He's losing that baby hair of his that I loved and it's coming in much lighter. I know I need to cut the curls off the top but I'm having a hard time parting with them. I'm afraid that his hair won't come back curly, so I'm holding onto it as long as possible. His hair isn't exactly stylin'.



Oh how I love having a little boy. I've missed sleeping for the last 5 months, but it's more than worth it.

15 comments:

Erin said...

First off do not cut that hair! I was the same way with my babies and did not cut their hair till it was half way down their backs...Marc would always say they looked like hippie babies. But once the curls got cut they never came back! As for the spitting up that is a pain for sure. I may have some ideas for ya so give me a call if you are interested. Hang in there my friend!

Jennie said...

You don't know me, but I think your family is adorable! I found your blog via Jill Stoddard. Feel free to check mine out too if you want.

Anyway, I felt I should share my info about GERD. My oldest daughter (now 4 yrs) had GERD. And yeah, spit up all the time and so many burp cloths and clothing changes every day (including my own clothes).

My Dr. told me that the prevacid or zantac (reflux meds), are for the comfort of the baby, not to stop the spitting up. I thought when my daughter was first taking the med that it would lessen to spit up. When I asked the Dr. the next time, that's when he told me it was just to help it not burn her throat and help her feel more comfortable. Also, she would sometimes spit up the med, which was annoying.

The best thing to lessen the spit ups is gravity. The more he sits up, and having more solid foods because they're heavier are helpful to keeping that spit up from coming out. (but nothing too acidic like apples or apple blend foods). By the time they are 1 yr they have outgrown the GERD because their sphincter that closes the stomach from the throat is stronger, hence the common term, "they walk away from GERD".

Also, is he taking formula or breastfeeding? If is is formula, try changing to soy or nutramagen. We had to do Nutramigen for both of my girls. That stuff is expensive, but the only that worked because they would projectile anything else.

Hope this helps!

Jennie said...

Oh one more thing. When my girls were teething, they spit up even MORE. All of that extra drool was the cause. My daughter would even spit up clear (drool).

Corinne said...

I am so sorry auburn. I don't know what to tell ya. He is getting so big! I love the whole little muff of hair that he has left on top of his head. Too funny. Can't wait to see you guys at thanksgiving. Hopefully cannon will be sleeping better by then.

The Blakes said...

Ty was on Prevacid too. He refused to drink the Acid Reflux formula mix (which is so expensive) so I stuck with the Prevacid to ease his discomfort and just got used to going through lots of burp cloths every day. He outgrew it for the most part and I've learned to recognize which foods (like tomato based stuff) agitates him. Good luck!

Kristi said...

I love that you are getting so many helpful comments on your blog! Great info! So, I am loving that last picture of him. Such a smiley little thing! I love having your family around. We just need to work on the others! :o)

Lara said...

A, ditto to Jennie, the meds keep down the burn, and switch him to Nutramagen. It's the only thing that would "stick" in Gracie's tummy with her GERD problems.

Kristine said...

well i have no advice, since i'm not a mom but I can say that I miss you guys so much and I want to meet Cannon! He's a stud. I love reading your blog.

Anne said...

He is adorable (even losing his hair like Will did, and spitting up all over!) I hope his tummy gets better soon though! :)

Jamie said...

Wow, solid foods, amazing! he's so big. Trey had GERD and he outgrew it at about 9 months. Grady is on Prevacid and when I forget to give it to him he's fussy for two days. IT takes awhile but keep giving it to him. It does help. And some days are worse than others just depending on what you eat, their tummy, etc. Good luck, it's a phase and will hopefully end soon. :)

The Silly Nilly Family said...

I love his hair so much!!! Ha ha what a cutie. Sorry about the gerds, how miserable for the little guy. I hope it gets better soon.

Steph (and Bryant) said...

Such cute pics! Boys are SO FUN!! We really should get together now that you are not working! Not sure how much fun I am to be around right now, but I actually have good moments!!! Let me know!

Emilee said...

i hate when i find out later that i should have not let them cry, like throw up, teeth, whatever...i feel horrible! but he lived and is fine, thanks goodness! cute pics!

J.R. said...

The last photo of him "molting" with the patch of long hair on top is pretty funny I must say.

I'm going to add a male opinion here and say cut off the curls (sorry) and make his hair even. He is such a handsome little guy that even if you leave the long patch on top he is still cute!

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh Auburn. Without the internet access at my house until this weekend HOW I HAVE MISSED YOU! I love hearing your voice through the blog at least, and love the updates and pictures. Cannon...poor baby! Teething can't be fun. I know how much pain a little canker-sore gives me, and can't imagine having multiple serious ones on my gums! I hope he gets those little teeth in soon and some better rest is on the horizon!

Love you!