It's been six years since I have been to Havasupai. The last time Dave and I went we were dating, but not seriously yet, so it was fun to be there again this time around.
We went with two other couples and hiked in and out in the same day. A little crazy, but FUN. The falls definitely look different from the last time we were there. Last summer a dam broke and took out one of the falls completely and changed the landscape of the other falls quite a bit. Kind of sad to see the change, but still a beautiful place! A little piece of heaven right smack in the middle of the Grand Canyon.
We decided to make tie-dye shirts to wear on our walk. Here is a picture of us in our shirts being dorks.

As I get older I have this fear of heights that seems to GROW. I remember going down this part of the canyon last time and I was scared, but trying to be cool about it, since I was only dating Dave. This time I didn't try and act cool at all. I was scared and wanted to cry. Kim was already at the bottom, and got this picture as I was coming down the last little bit. Can you see the fear in my face?

Just to give you a frame of reference, this is the top of the falls, and you climb down a wall over to the right to get to the bottom. All I'm sayin' people is it's stinking HIGH.

This is Havasu Falls, proof that Kim, Sally and I did actually get in the water! It was cold, and with the spray from the falls, it was hard to want to get in!

Here are the boys enjoying the rope swing. This is where Dave hit his heel on a rock 7 days before his marathon. Good job. That is Sally's Dave getting some good air while my Dave watches.

There were just random horses/dogs/riders all along the trail. We'd be walking along this skinny little trail and then suddenly there were horses flying through! Some with riders on them, but most without riders. We had a few little scares on the hike out, since it was dark and we couldn't see anything. It's a little weird to walk up to a horse unexpectedly, especially when you are on a switchback in the dark coming out of the canyon!
All in all a fun trip! Good friends, good times. For more details on the hike you can check out Sally's blog post here.





15 comments:
Looks like so much fun! I am sad we had to miss it!
Oh I had no idea there was that scary climb over the wall part. That would be scary!!! You ladies are awesome!
Ohhhh! That would be so scary. So beautiful, but not enough to make me want to do the hike. I'll just enjoy your pictures.
I can't believe how shallow everything looks, especially by the rope swing. So sad. I can't wait to go back!!!
oh havasupai, i love you. You ARE insane for doing that hike in one day. but without the packs i'm sure it was MUcccch easier. your pictures are so great. i like your tie-dye too! Havasupai really has the most spectacular colors. AH...that water. I die.
we loved hiking havasupai this summer. what an adventure! and yes, i too wanted to cry going down that steeeeeep part to the waterfall. so so scared!! But worth it.
looks like you had a blast. great pictures!
I was sad to hear about how much the falls have changed, but it still looks beautiful there. I need to go back.
My Dave would love this! It looks BEAUTIFUL!
Love it! Want to go so badly! And wow. The horse thing is a little freaky. I would not want to lead the group. I would be too tense feeling around for horses. Weird.
That looks like so much fun - I've always wanted to do it. Maybe someday...seeing how steep it is had me flash back to when Bracan and Rachel did the hike with Lucy in the Bjorn and each fully loaded with gear. Wow. Maybe it was smart you left the kiddies at home? :)
ps-the tie dye is awesome!
lovin the tie dye! seeing pictures makes me want to go back there. it was so much fun seeing you guys this weekend. kyson is going to miss his little buddy lilly!
dude, your legs look amazing.
Ah...you are one BRAVE WOMAN! I love, love, love these pictures! I have never been to the Grand Canyon but you've now convinced me to go. So fun, and I love the tie-dye. ;)
Hey lady... I haven't checked blogs forever so I just scanned through yours... have I told you lately that you are a fantastic photographer?... you are!!!
Awesome pics. If I were a hiker I would love to go there.
Post a Comment