Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Advice

Seriously.
I'm in need of some advice.
My child gets up between 4:00-5:15 am EVERYDAY.
She is making me crazy!
It's been like this her whole life.
Sleeping late for her is like 6:00 am.
It doesn't really matter if she goes to bed early or late, she gets up at the same time.
Anyone have any tricks, bribes and/or threats that have kept their kids in their bed?
(yes, I said threats, I'm ready to resort to those if needed)

On a happier note, while Lily got up at 5:15 this morning and started her routine of coming in our room every 20-25 minutes, Cannon slept until 7:45 . . .

21 comments:

Rachel said...

I have a similar problem with Ty. We give him a big bowl of oatmeal just before bed - a full belly helps him last through the night. I'll be anxious to hear what advice others offer because I could use a few extra tricks up my sleeve. Good luck!

Meredith said...

Get her a paper route - at least you can make some $$ off it :)

Jaime S. said...

will she play nicely in her room after waking up. coug is still confined to a crib so i let him talk to himself in his crib for an hour before i get him at 7am

M said...

I have the same problem with my two girls. They woke me up at 5:20 a.m. this morning!

Kara said...

get her an alarm clock and tell her she can't go out of her room till it goes off. she can play but has to stay in her room. have it go off at 5:30 then start pushing it longer. my brother told his daughter she couldn't come out of her room til the sun was up. good luck :)

Staci said...

Do you have blackout curtains?? I splurged and got the ones from PotteryBarn for both of their rooms. I also told Bodie he can't get up until the sun comes out. I'm not sure if either of those things helped, but they both go to sleep between 7:30 and 8:00 and wake up between 7:00 and 7:30.

Lindsay Brummer said...

I don't have any advice... just empathy... you poor momma! Good thing she's so cute :)

thegoulds said...

I like the alarm clock idea. we use alarm clocks at our house for lots of stuff. Definetely make a rule she can't come into your room until the alarm clock goes off.

Mom S. said...

We actually found and bought a nightlight online that glows blue like a moon at night and then changes yellow like the sun when it's morning and ok to get up. You set it so it glows yellow when you want it to. It changed our lives with Cohen. We tell him that if he wakes up he either has to go back to sleep or play quietly in his room until "the sun comes on". If he wakes us up before then, he gets a consequence that day.

Anne said...

I've heard of making a sign that shows the right time to wake up and getting a clock to go with it, then telling them they can't come out until they match. Lily is certainly smart enough to do it and I bet if you had a chart and she got a sticker each time that went toward a big incentive she could get into it.

Let me know what works (since Will wakes up at 6 everyday, we could use help too!)

Auburn said...

oh my heck. i just bought the sun/moon good nite lite you are talking about Jill and I'm SOOOOO excited. I'm going to talk it up until it gets here so that Lily is excited about it!

The Zemp Family said...

I think at this time of year it's still dark at that time, but blacking out my kids windows worked for me. I would go absolutely nuts!!!! I really feel bad for you. :(

Jamie said...

My dear I am sorry. Trey sleeps late but occasionally he does come in our room around 4 or 5 unsure of what time it is. Alarm clock or your nite light I'm sure will work. We also bought black out blinds from Bed Bath and Beyond and I LOVE them. He still comes in sometimes and asks me if it's "good morning time". Good luck. I hope you get it fixed.

Anna Elledge said...

My oldest used to do the same thing!! I understand your pain. If it makes you feel any better, she started growing out of it recently. Good luck.

Marianne said...

I think this is why Kate is still in her crib not to mention with a tent attached. She used to get up a lot earlier but now I have the black out drapes and they are the money!

onehm said...

I have a friend who has the same problem with her son. They let him pick out a little bedside lamp at the store and they put it on a timer. He can be awake before the lamp, but he has to stay in his bed looking at books quietly until the lamp comes on. It works for them...
GOOD LUCK! That would make me crazy too!

Tiffany said...

This situation sounds identical to my two kiddos. My first born has always been an early riser and my second will sleep until I go get her out of bed! Jaxon is horrible about wanting to sleep with us right now and he often gets up at 4:00 or 5:00 and comes in our bed to finish his nights sleep. We tell him that he can't get up until he sees the sun outside or lights on in the house. It works for awhile and then he falls back into that aweful routine. I wish there was a perfect solution and I definatey feel for you! And you are definately right...it makes no difference as to what time you put them to bed. Actually, Jaxon may get up even earlier the later he goes to bed :) Good luck!

Carma Lee said...

All 6 of mine were early risers. It was great when we wanted to do scripture study before school, but as toddlers I would have liked them to sleep longer. I'm an early riser too, 3 or 4 AM often and blackout blinds don't work for me - dog gone it! I did require that as little kiddos they stay in bed until 6:00.

Bracan said...

I hope you alarm clock or nite lite thing works for you. That would get real old. Our girls have never got up that early unless they are in need of a little chocolate milk(instant breakfast) and then they'll go back to sleep. But we have never put them to bed early, bedtime is sometime between 8-10pm and they get up between 7-9am.

I only wish I could get Lucy to stop sleeping in our bed. She usually falls asleep with us and then we move her to her bed. It's probably my fault because when Bracan works nights I'll just let her sleep with me, so she's not used to going to sleep on her own. She needs to take notes from Alice, who is just fine putting herself to sleep.

Rachel (signed in as Bracan)

Joe and Joanne said...

Oh A - I'm so sorry! I went through that phase for a couple of years when I was a child (went to bed really easily and slept the night through, just woke up at an ungodly hour) and my parents had a TV and VCR set up for me in the livingroom where I could just hit a button and "play" and could watch a cartoon rather than go in their room and wake them up. It lasted about a week or so, and for some reason I started sleeping later. I was about four - so around the same age as Lily. Not sure of that's an option for you, but knowing she can't wake you up and what her alternative(s) are might help persuade her to stay in bed.

Good luck!!!

Emilee said...

you got lots of good stuff there...but i am mean with getting my kids to do what i want...elisha was never a problem, but baylee was and still is. when she was 2 i actually locked her in her room...i put that door thingy on the inside so she could not get out. i would not take it off till i was ok with her coming out. if she woke up she knew she had to play in there or stay in bed...it worked and she is great in the mornings now: either stays in bed or gets up and plays quietly or watches tv...