
This past weekend I was able to run the Ragnar Del Sol relay race!







I haven't run on a "relay team" since high school.
I forgot how much fun running can be when it's a team sport!
Here's a quick idea of how this race works from a teammate's blog, she describes it perfectly!
If I had to describe this event in one word, I'd try and choose from: amazing, adventerous, grueling, ridiculous, exhausting, exhilarating, crazy fun. Any one of those words would work. In case you're not familiar with the Ragnar Race I'll give you a brief run down: Basically its a super long relay race that goes non-stop for a day a night and a day. Each team has 12 members (unless you're a crazy ultra runner team, then you have only 6) and the Del Sol race started in Prescott AZ and ended at Tempe Market Place--204 miles later--the next day. You divide up into two vans and pass your "baton" (think 80's slap bracelet) all along the route from runner # 1 down to runner # 12, repeated 3 times until you finally arrive at the finish line. Did you catch that each runner runs 3 legs? Or that you run through the night without sleeping? Or that you're crammed into a mini van for two days? All this is true, and yet its an awesome bonding experience!
And here's the rundown from my end . . .
Right when I found out I was pregnant this cute girl Christy:

called me and asked me to join her Ragnar relay team. At the time I was thinking . . .
a) I don't get sick when I'm pregnant
b) I'll only be like 12 weeks when we're racing
c) I REALLY want to do a Ragnar
d) All of the above
You guessed it!
All of the above.
And my super supportive husband was like - go for it!
So, I signed up.
Little did I know, I actually can get sick when I'm pregnant.
Like TWENTY-FOUR hours a day nausea.
Thank heavens I wasn't puking (most of the time).
I had read on some mommy-blog that exercise can help with pregnancy nausea, and so I kept running.
Lo and behold - it does help with the nausea.
When I was running I would feel fine and I'd feel good for about 1/2 hour - 1 hour afterwards.
Now, if only nausea had been the only thing I had to contend with!
I had two stomach-flu's, strep-throat, a sinus infection, and my first-ever migraine in those 12 weeks.
It was really fun.
And one of the stomach-flu's came 5 days before the race, and the migraine lasted for a day and a half and ended only one day before the race.
So, I'm really starting to sound like a whiner here, but I'm just documenting so I don't forget how crazy my first 12 weeks of pregnancy was with this third baby!
So many times I wanted to quit, but I haven't been on a team forever and I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY didn't want to let my teammates down!
Miracle of all miracles I woke up early Friday morning to meet the girls to head up to our starting point and I was feeling fine.
I was so happy, and so grateful!
Here is a picture of me running my first leg, a 7-miler along some dirt road near Kirkland, AZ.
During the whole run I just kept saying thank-you prayers.
I was just so elated to be feeling good and doing what I love!

All of the team vans were decorated so fun.
We had our leg numbers on the back of our van and we would cross off each leg once we finished it.
Here I am crossing off my first leg!

Courtney, our team-captain had stocked our van up with great running treats/food to keep us going over the two-day event.
My favorite was the amazing pasta-salad she made.
A perfect pick-me-up.

Since we were van #2 we were the ones running through the middle of the night.
We started our second set of legs at about midnight.
I was scheduled to run 6.2 miles along the Carefree Highway at about 3:00 am.
At about 1:30 our second runner was out on at 8+ mile leg and there was a bad accident on the highway.
A participant (who wasn't running at the time) was crossing the highway to give water to one of his runners and he was hit by a car.
With all the chaos, ambulances, lifeflight, etc. they ended up cancelling four legs of the race, and picking back up in the morning with the 24th leg of the race.
So, I didn't get to run my middle of the night leg.
I was kind of disappointed because I feel like I didn't truly do "ragnar".
Unfortunately the guy who was hit by the car passed away today. So sad.
My third and final leg was an easy three-miler through Mesa (which is flat as a pancake).
Here are a few of my "van-mates" during our last stretch.*

And finally, here is a picture of our entire team at the finish line at Tempe Marketplace!
So much fun and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and next time I'll hopefully run all three legs!
The best part of the whole weekend was getting to know the fun girls in my van.
The only one I knew previous to race-day was Christy.
The girls were amazing, and I can't wait to stay in touch with them!

And, a BIG thanks to my BIGGEST fan.
He knows how much running means to me and he lets me do these crazy things.
Thanks to Mimi too, for watching the kiddos on Friday morning!

*these are the first pictures I have taken since I got braces (for the second time in my life).
Not loving the look, but I'm sure I'll love the end result.




20 comments:
Auburn! I found ya right back! I LOVE your blog. Really, did you even mention that you've got some mad design skills to go with your sprinter's legs? Nice! I gotta hire you to give my blog a make-over (or more likely a "make" since it was never visually made in the first place!)
Being in the van with such fabulous and inspirational women was the best part! I wanna get my leg good and healthy and sign up for me next race. Maybe something normal for a beginning this time, like a 10K? :)
Good for you! That race sounds about like the NW Hood to Coast Relay. I actually think it was more grueling than marathoning because you have to run on little to no sleep and you can never really eat normally for 24 hours. My nutrition plan consisted of balancing liquids, powerbars and imodium. The imodium was essential! Oh and the middle of the night leg is always fun. I ran 7 min miles that leg just 'cause it was pitch black and I didn't like the sounds of heavy breathing behind me. Brings back memories of fun times!! Glad you had the experience. Hope the rest of your pregnancy is better than your 1st trimester!
Wow! I love the making new friends and seeing new sights part, not so much the almost run a marathon part.
Love it I am jealous! I want to do it!
WOW! You are one amazing prego, lady! Inspiring. I've been nuts busy and haven't been running in like two weeks. The funny thing is I'm not a natural runner (to an extent - I dislike it) but I force myself to do it an am actually feeling the withdrawls from the interruption of schedule. Running- good medicine!
You're cute no matter what: Running, prego, braces - truly your beauty shines through them all!
P.S. Someone ended up dieing? That's horrible!
Oh my amazing-ness! As usual. You're simply inspiring, girl. Sounds like an incredible experience. So sad about the accident. What a fabulous really cool thing to remember that you did WHILE prego with cute little #3.
So glad I finally saw you. And so glad you loved it! What was your team name??
Awesome job Auburn! I love seeing the pics and keep hoping I'll learn to like to run someday, haha. I love the shot with Dave- you look so happy to be home!
I'm so glad (and super impressed) that you stuck with this! Amazing!
i LOVE the pictures! You even look good during RAGNAR :)
Way to go! I'm glad you were feeling better for the race. I should have had a big bowl of frozen cherries for you at the finish line. :)
that is crazy! you are nuts! but so lucky running helps your nausea! it totally made mine worse. with all 3 pregnancies i was running beforehand and wanted to run for as long as i could and it only lasted till about week 8 and i about puked every time i ran every pregnancy and i gave up cus i could not take it any more...not fun. anyway, good for you!
You're crazy, girly!!!
It does sound a lot like the Hood to Coast relay on Oregon - which I did a few years back: me and 5 guys I didn't know one bit! At the end they were like my bros! I loved how they played "Brick House" every time the van drove by me...especially at 3am during my 2nd leg through industrial Portland on our way out to Seaside.
But I couldn't think of doing it pregnant! I'm glad you could! You're one tough Momma!!!
:)
NICE WORK! wow. i am so impressed! egan loves the ragnar races. i feel like i should do at least 1 in my life. right?
so good job. (and sorry about the 12 weeks of sickness. no fun)
all i have to say is YOU GO GIRL! I could like do NOTHING when i was preggo. missing ya! Hugs
LOVE the new header, so cute!! It was fun chatting tonight. I'm in next year. Let's start recruiting!
Glad you had fun running - I wouldn't have. But, I did have fun watching the kiddos - they are very entertaining little cuties!
cute cute post Auburn! :) I'm sooo glad you decided to still do it even after those horrible 12 weeks! You're amazing, that's all I can say. You were so fun to be with in the van, Can't wait to do another one with you! love ya!
you go girl! i would love to run a race like that! i need to get my fat but in gear! too bad i am not in arizona so that you could drag me along on your runs! by the way you can barley notice the braces!
Impressive. Those Ragnar things sound tough but awesome--like you!
Post a Comment